Friday, August 6, 2010

Is there a spot in the baby book?

I’m wondering where I put the keepsakes from “Baby’s first ER visit.”

Before I go any further, don’t worry – Kayla is fine.  But I absolutely had to record this one for posterity. 


Last night I took Kayla upstairs with me so I could try to get changed and ready to hang out for a little while before giving her a bath and putting her down for the night… after which I had tons of work to do (we’re getting ready to paint the living room).  I didn’t realize that my mug full of change was back down on my nightstand, and before I know it I am sweeping her mouth and getting two quarters out.  She didn’t seem too bothered at first but then she threw herself to the ground.  At first I thought tantrum, but when it continued downstairs I started to worry.  Normally Shaun’s Blackberry will solve any problem; not this time.  She screamed and writhed and arched her back… I didn’t know what to do. 


Assuming that she was in pain, I called the doctor first.  Since I couldn’t state with any degree of certainty that she didn’t swallow a coin, they said to take her straight to the ER.  So I packed up the diaper bag and off we went.  By the time we got to the hospital, she was calm.  She even smiled at me while I was getting her out of her seat. 


We got checked in pretty quickly.  A nurse brought us back to check her O2 stats and get some basic information.  Then we were shown to a room where we sat on the bed and I tried not to worry.  Within minutes we were back in X-ray.  Kayla actually laid pretty still for that ordeal.  I was surprised and pleased; as we were walking out, I heard “I don’t see anything.”  Reassuring, even though I knew we’d have to wait for a doctor to confirm.  We went back to our room and sat for a while before the doctor came and gave Kayla a quick exam.  He said she seemed OK, but he needed to look at the X-ray and then he’d be back with us.  So we sat.  And sat.  Kayla tossed my cell phone on the floor, sending the case in one direction and the battery in the other.  Twice.  I managed to keep her entertained until the doctor came back and said the X-ray was clean and that someone would be by with discharge instructions.  A nurse came by to check Kayla’s O2 stats again – she screamed bloody murder the entire time.  You could tell the poor guy was really uncomfortable dealing with a baby.  I felt bad for him; he took off running as soon as I could free my left hand to sign the discharge sheet. 


So I guess it was just a tantrum after all – I’m waiting to see what driving down to LGH for a little peace of mind is going to cost us.  I’m going to be sure to tuck that bill right into her baby book with her admission bracelet and the parking garage ticket with the date and time…


And the mug full of change is now up on top of a dresser, where it will stay. 


joven said...

beautiful blog..pls visit mine and be a follower.. thanks and God bless..

Laura said...

We haven't had that one yet but last weekend Tyler decided to sumersault off the concrete steps into the rocks and roses. Really NICE pumpknot and bruise on his forehead.