Thursday, July 16, 2009

First Week

I know that I'm a little behind in updating, but I have been very busy! Between caring for a newborn and all the things we've been doing around the house, there is rarely a quiet moment here.

Our first week has gone very well, but hasn't been without challenges. Kayla is an absolute joy of a baby and I feel so lucky to have her. She has been sleeping as long as 4 or even close to 5 hours at a stretch at night, which is unbelievable to me. We had some challenges on the breastfeeding front, but a visit with a lactation consultant at the hospital proved very helpful in that arena.

When we left the hospital on Thursday the 9th, Kayla weighed in at 6 pounds 11 ounces. At her first doctors appointment on the 10th, she was down to 6 pounds 8 ounces. After a stressful weekend that included supplementing with some formula, she was back up to 6 pounds 13 ounces on Monday. At the hospital on Tuesday, she checked in at 6 pounds 15 ounces. Her next appointment is on the 21st, and I'm anxious to see how she did over the last week.

We have been having lots of fun. Since our little one travels so well, we have been able to take her anywhere we need to go. We've even put her in the stroller for a nice walk to Grecco's for ice cream when Nana Kim came to visit on Sunday, and over to Aunt Dena's house on Wednesday. We have quite the little adventurer on our hands.

I am starting to get nervous about Shaun returning to work on Monday; it's going to be difficult not having that second set of hands around just in case. I am looking forward to having time with her and I'm looking forward to Aunt Paula's first visit with us too. It's still a bit unnerving to think about being totally on my own. Here's hoping that it all goes well!

1 comment:

Tyler's Story... said...

You'll be great! Don't forget it's common for babies to lose weight when they first get home but sounds like she's doin fine... If you have any boob questions I've spent A LOT of time with the local Lactation people (ah the joys of a preemie) or just need another mom to talk to I'm here.