Monday, September 7, 2009

Happy Two Months!


Dear Kayla,

I promised myself that this was something I was going to do for you every month, but somehow
your one month got by me. For that I apologize.

I can hardly believe you are two months old today. You are such an amazing little creature, and every day I look at you with wonder and awe. You've been sleeping well for being so young yet, only waking once a night to be fed. I know it seems silly, but I really appreciate that. You are so beautiful; you smile a lot now and it's just the sweetest thing. Today was the first time I was able to catch your smile on camera... the picture above. You also try to laugh - you open your mouth really wide and sometimes a gurgle or a loud "ah!" escapes, but you haven't quite figured out how to make a laughing sound yet. It cracks me up every single time. You are definitely vocal though, cooing and "talking" to your light up sun on your play mat, and if I'm lucky, occasionally to me as well.

In the last week or so, you've really discovered your hands. For the last few days they have been in your mouth almost non stop. Last night you stared at your fists, not quite sure where they came from, and even sucked your thumb for the first time. I don't know if it will stick though - you still prefer your Soothie for comfort sucking.

Tummy time is still a little bit of a challenge. You seem to enjoy the new view for the first few minutes but quickly grow weary of not being able to see the world as you're used to it. The new Boppy tummy time mat seems to help that some, but it extends our floor time to maybe 10 minutes at a shot rather than 5 or less. I enjoy watching you lift your head for brief periods and smile at me. I love seeing your happy little face no matter what.

Last week brought the challenge of me returning to work. Although you and daddy did just fine without me, I had a really difficult time walking out the door that first morning. I went to take you from your crib to the bed so you were closer to daddy, and you were happily playing in your crib by yourself until you looked up and saw me. You got the saddest look on your face and let out a little cry. It nearly brought me to my knees right there. I missed you more than I could ever express. I'm afraid that dropping you off at daycare for the first time tomorrow is going to be even harder.

You had your two month doctor appointment last week; you weighed in at 11 lbs 4 oz and are now 22 1/2 inches long. You've grown so much. Daddy says you took your shots pretty well too. You were so unhappy when I came home and I felt terrible for you. I know it's to keep you healthy though, and I'm just glad I wasn't there to hear you cry when you got them.

So much has happened and changed in just a few short weeks, and I can only begin to imagine the changes that are to come on the coming days, weeks, months and years. I do know that I look forward to seeing you continue to grow and develop and to be the sweet little lady I know you're going to be. I love you so much Kayla Anne and I always will.

Love,

Mommy

2 comments:

Unknown said...

2 months!!!

...and i don't even want to think about going back to work...and she's not even here yet! how do women do it?!

Unknown said...

"Last night I dreamt that I was in a wheel chair. I was outside of the hospital with her on my lap and she (yes, my daughter) asked me for a cigarette. WTF?"

i just lmfao.