Monday, September 12, 2011

I haven't forgotten

I wanted to write something yesterday, but the words wouldn’t come.  It felt trite.  Ten years is such an arbitrary line in time – why would this particular anniversary be more poignant than the previous 9?  But it was.  Maybe because of the media frenzy; everyone and their brother had something about 9/11 on TV.  Maybe because for the first time in 10 years, I actually sat and watched the video rather than changing channels. 

I remember 9/11/2001 pretty clearly.  It was a beautiful fall day.  I remember sitting in my friend Matt’s dorm room with he and his roommate; watching the coverage, holding hands and feeling a spectrum of emotions.  Anger.  Fear.  Sadness.  Confusion.  It’s amazing how an event like that can cause such a seismic shift to a 19 year old.  I remember the agonizing 2-3 days afterwards, waiting anxiously for word from my friend Ashley who was attending NYU at that time.  I remember standing outside of my dorm with friends and none of us being able to talk about anything else for days. 

I hope that someday I will be able to share my memories of that day with Kayla, and I can help her understand how it changed our world.  It’s a hard thing for me to reconcile sometimes… I just hope I’m able when the time comes. 


No comments: