Thursday, September 29, 2011

Where do they learn to break your heart so early?

The other night Kayla and I were going through her bath time routine.  When I finished putting lotion and a fresh diaper on her, I decided to stop procrastinating and grabbed the nail clippers.  I asked her to sit down and be still so I could trim her finger and toe nails. 
“Don’t snap me and hurt me again mommy,” she said to me. 
Shocked and worried I said “who hurt you sweetheart?”
“You did.  You snapped my finger and I needed a Band Aid because there was blood and it hurt.”
Oh.My.God. 
My child doesn’t remember the dozens of harmless nail trimmings we’ve had, but she remembers the one where I trimmed one nail a little too close and drew the tiniest bit of blood.  Of course, she doesn’t remember the one when she was a tiny infant and I did the same… but I do.  At least now I know what she means when she refers to having her fingers “snapped.”
 *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Last night we were hanging out while Shaun went running and as she bounced on the couch, she turned and looked at me and declared “I need a present.”  When I asked her what she was talking about, she said “it’s my birthday, I need a present!”  Obviously it’s totally useless to remind a two year old that her birthday was nearly 3 months ago and even if it was her birthday, she certainly didn’t need a present.  So I got a roll of Smarties out of the cabinet and told her that it was a special treat, even though it wasn’t her birthday.  The resulting face grab and kisses were totally worth the “I can’t believe I’m giving her more junk food” guilt. 
 *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
The ups and downs still never cease to amaze me.  She can have my blood pressure sky-high one second and have me on the floor in a fit of giggles the next.  This morning I was rushing to get her eating breakfast so I could run back upstairs to dry my hair and as I spun into the pantry to grab her a plate, I hear her say “hey, are you ok in there?”

This kid cracks me up.  She knows just how to push my buttons already.  I’m in for a long ride.


No comments: