Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Looks like we have a good eater on our hands

So look at me, the girl who was having fits about not wanting to start her baby on solids too early.  Yeah, I did a 180 on that pretty quick.  Cereal time in the evening has been a fun and entertaining addition to our routine.  Every evening we put Kayla in her high chair and give her a sippy cup of water to play with while I get her food ready (she is able to get it in the general vicinity of her mouth now, but I still have to lift it for her to be able to suck any water out of it).  We're up to 1/4 cup of cereal mixed with 2 ounces of breast milk for her evening meal.  Most of the time she happily chows that down without protest.  Rice cereal was a hit, and we transitioned to oatmeal without so much as a funny face. 

So last week I got to thinking about adding a little bit more into her evening feeding, just to see how it would go.  I did a little reading and thinking about what I wanted to try next.  Friday I stopped at the grocery store and grabbed some frozen carrots and peas.  We steamed a few carrot slices and pureed them for her.  As with the first bit of cereal, the initial reaction wasn't very good.  Within a few bites though, we had a smile!  She seems to enjoy carrots so far.  She's gotten a tablespoon or so of them each of the last 4 nights.  Since we didn't have any adverse reactions, I'm thinking of trying the peas starting tonight.  I don't know how that's going to go since they're not quite as sweet as everything else she's been fed so far.  If that goes well, maybe we'll try our first fruit this weekend. 

Hopefully I'll have a little time and energy after the small one goes to bed tonight and I will be able to add some pictures to this post.  If I don't get to it then, this weekend for sure! 

No comments: