Thursday, December 31, 2009

You know you're a mom when...

I'm sitting at my desk, watching the snow fall and sipping my coffee, trying to figure out what I can twist into one more blog post before 2009 comes to an close.  It suddenly occurs to me that I've had so many of these "mom" moments in the last few days, I figured why not end the year on that note? 

Earlier this week I was standing in line at the bank, I put my hand in my coat pocket.  I can only imagine my face when I encountered something foreign, and uncertain of what it was, produced one of these:


I had to laugh, especially since Kayla hasn't used a Soothie in months.  I guess I don't wear that coat very often. 

Yesterday I got home and saw a box of Amazon on my porch.  I instantly got irrationally excited knowing that inside was one of these:



So I am back on the baby food making train!  Last night I steamed, pureed and froze the remaining carrots and peas from the previous tries.  She's doing really well with fruit though - last night we had pears - so I will keep up with those until they're gone.  But seriously - who gets excited over a baby food mill?  Only a mom. 

Then there are the more general moments.  When you manage to get out of the house with only a little spitup on your shirt and you call it a victory.  When you no longer cringe when you notice "that smell."  When an uninterrupted bubble bath and a glass of wine start to look like a tropical vacation.  When you think you want to send your husband and the baby to the moon just so you can have a break, but you know you'll miss them as soon as they're gone. 

When you notice that she's creeping a little bit, or you get your first pictures of her sitting up all by herself; and you can not wait to tell someone about it.  When the highlight of the day is coming home to someone who is fussy and hungry because you know she needs you.  It's during moments like those- noticing a first or even just coming through the door after work - that the stress just melts away and I feel more like myself than I ever have in my whole life. 

2009 has been an amazing year for Shaun and I, and one I know we will never forget.  Here's wishing everyone a happy and prosperous 2010!

No comments: