Friday, April 30, 2010

National IF Awareness Week

April 24 - May 1 marks National Infertility Awareness Week. 

Although Shaun and I were lucky enough to conceive without medical intervention, our journey was not without struggle.  Often I wonder what we would have done if we hadn't been so fortunate.  Our insurance does not cover infertility treatments, which are costly.  Our company offers adoption assistance, but not nearly enough to cover the astronomical expenses. 

Would we have found a way?  Would we have learned to live happily, child-free?  It breaks my heart to ponder that even now; and I still hurt for those who are facing this reality today. 

The only good thing to come out of all of this is that I now find myself the member of a community of supportive, amazing women who are all at different places on their journey to their happy family.  To my sisters who have made it to the other side, I am overjoyed with you.  To those who are still making their way, I feel your sadness and frustration.  Keep fighting the good fight.

No comments: