Friday, October 22, 2010

Late to the Party

So as usual, I’m falling behind again.  On picture taking.  On blogging.  On everything that’s going on in the world.  Driving around each day I see maple trees that have already gone scarlet and started dropping their leaves – an ever present reminder that if I don’t get out soon, I am going to miss photographing another spectacular fall.  So I’m going to spill out the details of the last few days in order to prepare to write about the fun stuff we plan to do this weekend (pumpkins, cake pops, fall pictures and whatever else we can fit in!). 

Backing up to last weekend, we went to our friend Addison’s first birthday party on Saturday.  What an event!  Adam and Kristen have a great playroom for the little monsters, and Kayla loves playing there.  Miss Addison is up on her feet and unstoppable – cute as a button and growing so fast!  She totally dove into her smash cake too.  Yum!  It’s hard to believe that it’s been over a year since Kristen and I were having lunch together when Kayla was just a few weeks old and Addison was still an inside baby. 

Then things turned iffy on Sunday.  Kayla started acting fussy early in the day, and woke up from her nap with a fever.  We kept it pretty well in check with medicine, but it was obvious that she wasn’t right.  I put her to bed early on Sunday night, deciding to play the next day or two by ear.  Monday morning she woke up burning hot – I could feel it before I even laid my hands on her.  So it was ibuprofen and into bed with me for a morning of rest and Nick Jr.  It was always very evident by the ebbs and flows of her energy level and number of smiles how the medicine was working for her.  She happily munched on her breakfast while I talked to a nurse from our doctor’s office, deciding not to bring her in right away as long as the medicine was keeping the fever under control.  She ate her lunch and took a nap without a fuss.  The nurse called back while she was asleep to see how she was doing.  Have I mentioned how much I like our pediatrician and the office he works in?  Although our 15 month appointment was a bit of a disaster (not really their fault), they really do care about their patients.  Since there wasn’t an obvious cause for the fever and Kayla seemed better, we skipped taking her in. 

Tuesday had Kayla back at daycare and me back at work.  She was sluggish and quiet, but got through the day.  I was exhausted, but I managed too.  Life was mostly back to normal.  Until Wednesday when the rash broke out.  We got a call from daycare and apparently Kayla had a case of Roseola.  Thankfully by the time the rash shows up its no longer super contagious, and it didn’t seem to bother her, so she was allowed to stay.    The rash was still pretty obvious at bath time last night, but by this morning had really faded.  She’s still fussy and we’ve had some rough mornings, but I think the worst is definitely over with. 

So there’s the big update of what’s happening in our world.  Hopefully I’ll have another one with some pictures from the weekend! 

No comments: