Friday, October 16, 2009

New Blog Design and an Update on Me

Please do not adjust your monitor.  Your eyes are not deceiving you.  Things are looking a bit different around here today... I am working on a blog redesign now.  I'm not sure if I want to pull a premade template from somewere or if I actually want to attempt my own header, etc.  I don't have a whole lot of time to put into this either, so we'll see how long it sits here with a standard Blogger template before I get around to doing something with it.  ;-)

So about 3 weeks ago, I started to notice a pain in my right wrist that went up my arm a couple of inches.  I didn't think too much of it at first; maybe I strained something.  No big deal.  So I went about my  normal (ha!) life and tried to ignore it.  Within a week, the pain was nearly unbearable, and I was starting to notice tenderness in my left wrist as well.  So off to the doctor I went.  I was seen by the office nurse practitioner, who determined that it was not carpal tunnel and instructed me to take 3 ibuprofen 3 times a day for 10 - 14 days and see what happened.  By the two week mark, my right wrist was no better and the left was worse than the right had ever been.  So back to the doctor I went, but this time I was prepared. 

Thanks to a message board friend, I was armed with information about DeQuervain's Syndrome (also known as "washerwoman's sprain" or "mother's wrist") when I went to this appointment.  I discussed the pain I'd been feeling with the doctor, and he said he thinks I "nailed it" with my self diagnosis.  He said it is really unusual to see it develop in both wrists at the same time (so that makes me really lucky right?) but it was the most likely culprit for my pain. 

Unfortunately, the initial treatment for this is cortisone shots and a stint in a soft splint that immobilizes my wrist and thumb.  This means the doc couldn't treat both wrists at once.  We elected to start with my left wrist since it was giving me the most pain, and revisit the right wrist in 10 - 14 days if I feel like the shot helped.  The shot itself wasn't bad, and actually numbed things for a bit.  I could use my hand normally again all of a sudden.  Sweet!  Or not. 

By the time I got home from work, the numbness had worn off and pain took its place.  It was even worse than it had been before.  Even now, closing my hand is near impossible.  Picking up Kayla is excruciating.  Holding a pen in my left hand to write?  Not a chance.  I really hope the soft splint I need shows up at the pharmacy today.  I'm sure the amount of stuff I'm trying to do despite the pain isn't helping my cause any.   I'm so looking forward to this weekend and being able to rest it a bit and let the shot take effect... I'll report back on how that works after the weekend. 

PS - I promise I'm not holding out on you in the picture arena.  I'm still waiting on my new memory cards to arrive so I can actually save the pictures I take.  I have been playing with the camera though and I am absolutely loving it!  I can't wait to put it to real use!

No comments: